Keynote from Janet Carlson, Executive Director CSET https://cset.stanford.edu/people/faculty re role of SSTI and CSET mission.
What counts in professional development:
- can apply and implement
- has an immediate and long-term application
- practical and applicable.
- quality and based on research
- recent teacher practice
- reflective aspect.
- organisation has follow-through
- driven by a visions
- helps teachers develop skills and knowledge
- mirrors methods an practice it espouses
- builds a learning community
- develops teacher leadership
- links into the system
How can PD remain relevant as more options become available online.
- Cognitive Dissonance
- provide opportunities to resolve dissonance
- connect the above to students
- develop repertoire of new practices
- Support for cycling though the above